Best Baseball Manager Ejections: Wally Backman, Aaron Boone, and MoreAugust 21, 2018
Baseball manager Wally Backman gets thrown out of the game for defending his player in one of the most bizarre ejections in the history of professional baseball.
The events that led to Backman’s ejection:
- Outfielder Doc Brooks questions the location of a called strike.
- Later in the same at bat, the umpire calls a ball.
- Brooks asks the umpire the location of the pitch.
- Words are exchanged.
- Brooks is ejected.
- Backman emerges from the dugout.
- Backman asks why his player was ejected.
- The umpire refuses to answer him, saying “You can read it in my report.”
- Following the ejection, Backman threw 22 bats and a bucket of balls onto the field.
“My guys are fucking savages in that fucking box and you’re having a piece of shit start to this game. I feel bad for you, but fucking get better.”Aaron Boone, July 18th, 2019